Tuesday, March 24, 2015

Final Project Topic: Initial Idea

Here's the scoop: in approx. 500 words, propose an idea for your Final Project. Explain the topic, the reason you've selected it, the audience of the map(s), the type of visualization you envision (be specific and reference labs we've done if relevant), the data source (and if it has been acquired), the production steps (data processing, software, etc.), and a schedule. Also discuss any issues/obstacles you foresee.

For my final project, I want to make an interactive Flash map of Fenwick Library.  The map will have three parts, an index displaying the Dewey Decimal System that will be hidden 'inside' like a pop-up window in a web browser, the map panel, and the information panel.  Each of the topic lines in the index will be a button that will minimize the index and display the appropriate floor's map panel, with the relevant aisles highlighted.  I'll do the highlighting with adjusted transparency boxes.  Users will also be able to manually navigate through the library, changing floors and buildings by clicking buttons and seeing which topics are in aisles they mouse over as the data is displayed in the information panel.

I'll be using labs 2-5 for reference, and I'll need to check Mason's library services to see if they have any maps that I can digitize.  If not, I'll need to make the map myself.  Since the bookshelf-containing areas of Fenwick are either identical or highly similar from floor to floor, though, this should not be a problem.

I have not yet made a schedule, as my approach for projects this semester can be summed up as "do it as fast as possible, as soon as possible, because oh god there are eight assignments due during the same seven day period."



EDIT:  The GMU Library system uses the LC (Library of Congress) organizational system instead of the Dewey Decimal one.  I have a (very basic) picture of the floors from a fire escape plan, and will contact Mrs. Cynthia Bentley to see if she has a more detailed one available.

EDIT 2:  Here is a rough mock-up, containing one of the buildings and two basic buttons to change between stages.


No comments:

Post a Comment